Tuesday, January 3, 2012

TWICE THE BEAT (Sample Sneak Peek of Chapter 1)

     It was a golden, summer morning.  I opened my french shutters to view the rising, sun.  I knew today would be the beginning of a once in a lifetime summer!  What more could a girl ask for?  I lived in the golden state, California.  I would be having my sweet sixteen birthday, June nineteenth.  My parents were going away two days after my birthday for a two week business trip.  With the exception of my favorite Aunt Sicily.  She would be stopping by daily.  She's really modern.  I could share my deepest secrets, my latest crush with her.  That's the best part, my latest crush.  I was dating the most popular boy in my high school, Rashad Cambell.
     Rashad is gorgeous!  His sea, green eyes could melt your heart.  His thick, wavy, jet-black hair was cut short and perfectly defined his handsome face.  His skin resembled Hershey's masterpiece!  The ever so favorite chocolate bar.  Rashad's lips were fully shaped.  Kissing his lips, his soft, full lips, was heaven on earth!  I was the envy of most cheerleaders at Keifer High.  Except for my best friend in the whole world, Ciara Reinez. 
     I was lucky that my best friend and my boyfriend got along so well.  In most cases, best friends and boyfriends don't click, if you know what I mean.  Ciara was beautiful.  Most girls immediately felt intimidated by her natural beauty.  Her cinnamon, colored skin glowed.  Not one blemish!  Her perfectly arched eyebrows enhanced her deep, brown eyes.  Eyelashes for days.  They were dark, long and naturally curled.  Ciara's long, thick, wavy hair set off colors of chestnut brown, naturally highlighted with tints of red and a few streaks of blonde.  Standing at five foot, six inches, being sixteen as well, she was definately model material.
     Myself, Ciara always complemented my features.  I stood about five foot, three inches.  I had the shape of an hour glass.  Obviously, inherited from my mother.  Rashad always compared me to a black panther.  Sleek, beautiful and black.  My eyes are so dark that it appears as if I don't have any pupils.  He says he likes to swim in my mysterious, deep, brown eyes.  My hair, thick and full.  I always have my hair cut to shoulder length.  Ciara and Rashad agreed my short, cut shows off my beautiful, round face.
     "Good morning, gorgeous.  You like what you see?"
     With the view from my bedroom window, their stood Raheim.  My boyfriend, Rashad's identical twin brother.  The major difference between them both is their personalities and tastes in clothing.  Rashad wore designer jeans and dress slacks depending on the occasion.  He also rocked high, fashion shirts and silk shirts when dressing up.  Occasionally, Rashad would wear a jock, short-sleeved shirt if we were attending a picnic or football game.  When Rashad and I would attend parties or dine at a fancy restaurant, he wore slacks and a long, sleeve silk shirt with a tie.
     "Hello, Raheim."  I greeted him sarcastically.  Raheim was out for his morning jog.  He was into the whole physical-fitness thing.  Raheim was the most popular jock at our high school.  He was captain of our football team.  
     "What do you think of my dress attire?"  Raheim waited for my response with a smirk on his face. 
     I stared at his faded, blue, sweat outfit.  It had a few tears in places it should not.  Like I cared what briefs he was wearing that day.  He still spun around, arrogantly.  I thought to myself, why does he buy complete sweatsuits?  He always cuts off the arms and the sweat pants to show off his muscular build.  Not that I care.  But you can't help seeing his bulging muscles hanging out of his clothing. 
     "Cute.  Real cute," I mumbled under my breath.  "Is Rashad up?  I sure would like to wake up and see his handsome face," I said, as if reminding Raheim that his brother, Rashad is my boyfriend.  

     "Come on, Inesia.  You know I'm the better looking twin.  Rashad looks like he's starving!  Me, on the other hand."  Raheim flexed several muscles in his body.  He gave me a freeze-frame pose.  "Now, you can't say Rashad can beat this, can you?"




     I felt my face heat up!  For some strange reason, I felt a bit embarrassed!  But why?  Rashad was tall and slender like a model.  Rashad was captain of the basketball team.  He was expected to be tall and slender.  He could look like a gargantuan if he pumped hundreds of weights as well.
     "Tell Rashad that I love him."  I felt the strange, embarrassment converse into a sweet, daydream abouut Rashad.  "Let him know I dreamed of him last night.  We were at the beach  I melted in his arms."  I felt a instant smile plaster on my face.  I saw an agitated look appear on Raheim's face.  I guess it was pure jealousy!  Raheim did not have a steady girlfriend.  He dated several different girls.  I saw him date three different girls in one week!  That's why Ciara never dated him.  She was searching for her Mr. Right.  She wanted a one woman man.  Just like me.   
     "Inesia, honey.  Ciara's on the phone.  Are you up?"  I could not believe I did not hear the phone in my room ring.  I was only a few feet away from it.  I thought it must of been my daydream about Rashad.
     "I got it, mom.  You can hang up now," I yelled from my room.
     "What were you doing that was so important that you couldn't answer the phone?"  Ciara had a tell me, tell me in her voice.  I always answered the phone before anyone else could.  I was an only child.  I made it to the phone a lot quicker than either of my parents. 
     "I was probably daydreaming about Rashad," I answered. 
     "I thought maybe you were to interested in watching Raheim flex his muscles," giggled Ciara.  Once again, I felt heated!
     "I don't think so," I snapped!  Ciara lived directly across the street from me.  We could see each others bedroom windows. 
     "From what I saw, he was flexing and you were watching," laughed Ciara.
     "Ciara, get real.  I was just asking him where Rashad was."  I began twirling the phone cord around my index finger.
     "Inesia, it's o.k., girlfriend.  Looking never hurt anyone.  I'd think something was wrong if you did not check out that gorgeous hunk."
     "Ciara, he's my boyfriend's twin brother.  He can also be a pain when he wants to."
     "Yeah.  But he sure flirts with you a lot."
     "Raheim flirts with everyone.  Including you," I laughed.
     "If he didn't date four to five girls a week, I'd seriously consider making him mine.  He's gorgeous!  If I don't find Mr. Right soon, I might just be added to his dating list."  Ciara and I laughed at the notion of her antics.  Summer love was definitely in the air!
     "Hi, babe."  Rashad stood before me on my front porch.  He embraced me gently.  The caressing hug tightened with every squeeze.  "You look beautiful, as usual."  Rashad's deep voice sent chills up and down my spine!
     "I missed you.  Come on in."  Joined at the hips, we both entered my house.  Daddy was sitting in the lounge chair next to the sofa.  I saw him eyeballing our closeness from the side of his newspaper.  Daddy cleared his throat!  That meant Rashad was to close to me, daddy's little girl.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment