Wednesday, January 4, 2012

TWICE THE BEAT (Sample chapter 1--continued)

     "How's everything, Mr. Jones?"  Rashad was trying to politely make conversation with Daddy.
     "Fine, fine.  And yourself?"  Daddy actually liked Rashad.  He just did not like us all hugged up on each other.  A typical daddy.
     "Just great.  Everything is great.  I have a summer job down at the Community Center.  I'll be buying my first car this summer." 
     I saw the pride on Rashad's face.  He had a job and was going to buy his first car.  To me, that showed daddy that Rashad was a responsible guy.  Unlike his twin brother.  Every summer all Raheim did was play football, date girls and tease Rashad about working so hard.  He'd tease him every summer.  Raheim would say, 'Rashad, man, it's going to take you forever to buy a Camaro!  A eighty-nine at that!  That man on the car lot is pulling your leg.  He's not going to hold that car for you.
     "That's great, son.  I bet your folks are real proud of you," said daddy.
     "Yes, sir.  I've been saving up for this car for quite some time.  I should have it in about three weeks."
     "Now you're going to get insurance, right?"  Daddy was checking all corners of this car situation. 
     "Yes, sir.  My father agreed to pay for half of my insurance.  I'm buying the car in full amount.  I will be keeping the Community Center job through next year.  Then I will be qualified to work as a counselor at the following day camps they provide," explained Rashad.
     "That's great!  I see my little, girl picked herself a winner.  You know, Inesia will be going to the DMV to take her driver's test the Monday following her sixteenth birthday."  
     "Yeah, I know.  I'll do fine, daddy.  You'll see."      
      I felt my palms begin to sweat with the word of the DMV.  I didn't want anyone to know that I was terrified of failing the test!  I knew people who had taken the test three times before passing.  I was an 'A' student and on the honor roll at Keifer High School.  The thought of driving with a total stranger rattled my nerves.  A stranger who held your whole summer of being behind the wheel in the palm of their hands!  It made me extremely nervous! 
     "Yes, my little girl.  She's growing up.  I'm so proud of her.  I know you'll do fine on the driving test, sweetie.  Once you pass, you'll be driving daddy's Mercedes," said daddy.
     My daddy had two Mercedes.  One for business.  It was gray with tinted windows.  A 1998.  The other Mercedes, he'd been saving for me.  A 1996, black on black, leather interior, convertible, Mercedes Benz.  I'd hate myself if I didn't pass the test!  Ciara would probably hate me to.  Just kidding.  We'd both be disappointed.  We couldn't wait for the day that we could cruise the Mercedes Benz without daddy in the car.  My mother drove a 1998, Saturn.  She wasn't into the expensive, flashy type look.
     "I'm sure you'll do fine, babe."  Rashad's palm felt clammy, like mine.  He squeezed my hand in a passionate way.  He stroked my fingers gently.  I guess daddy had seen enough.
     "Well, I'm off to the office.  Rashad, if you ever want to make some extra money," offered daddy.
     "Working for a District Attorney would take up most of my time," laughed Rashad.  "I wouldn't be able to see my beautiful girl as much."  I felt a beaming smile appear on my face. 
     "O.K., son," chuckled daddy.  "Inesia, daddy will see you later."  Daddy stood up and awaited my hug good bye.  I felt Rashad's eyes burning a hole in my red, silk, short-sleeve blouse.  I gave daddy a hug and he walked out the front door. 
     "Come here, my Nubian Princess."  Rashad's slender body slumped into relaxation.  The pressure of being in the same room with the District Attorney, my daddy, had vanished.
     "Rashad," I whispered.  "I love you." 
     With those inviting words, Rashad stroked my back with his masculine hands.  I swam in his emerald eyes.  I felt his heated breath on my neck.  A soft kiss here.  A soft kiss there.  My neck had goosebumps!  I raised my head to his.  We indulged in an everlasting kiss!  Well, until my mother entered the house with two bags of groceries. 
     "Hello, Inesia.  I could use some help."  I know my mother had seen Rashad and I in our heated moment.  Rashad leaped off the sofa immediately!  Embarrassment was written all over both our faces! 
     "Let me get those, Mrs. Jones."  Rashad relieved mother of the grocery bags.  He stepped into the kitchen to put the bags down.
     "Thank you, Rashad.  You're always such a gentleman.  You can place them on the counter next to the microwave."  My mother was enjoying the humorous moment of catching Rashad and I kissing.  She knew she was making me squirm!  "So the summer heat isn't the only thing hot around hear," giggled mother.  
     "Mother, is Aunt Sicily coming by this morning?  She said she had a dress for me."  
     "Yes, Inesia.  She should be here any minute.  I'm going down to your father's office.  I see he's rushed off again and forgot his briefcase," said mother.  Daddy was the best DA ever!  I knew he was thrown off by Rashad and myself.  I guess my mom was right about the heat!  "Rashad, I'll see you later.  Inesia, if you leave before I get back,"
     "I know, don't forget to lock the door," I giggled.
     My mother was beautiful.  Everyone tells me I'm a clone of her.  We've even been asked if we were sisters before.  Mother took really good care of herself, obviously.  She worked out everyday.  She jogged, took aerobics classes and worked out on her health rider.  She gave me a kiss and scurried out the front door. 
     "Inesia, I need to ask you something."  The tone in Rashad's voice sounded serious.  I walked over and entered his arms in the dining area.
     "What is it, babe?"
     "I noticed Raheim made your block a must on his jogging route.  I saw him this morning.  If I'm not mistaking, I think I saw him flexing his muscles in front of your bedroom window," explained Rashad. 
     I felt a lump in my throat!  What was Rashad assuming?  Why did I feel like I'd been caught doing something wrong?  It was only Raheim.  Rashad's brother.
     Oh, Rashad.  Umm, you know Raheim.  He's always clowning a-a-around," I stuttered.  What was wrong with me?  Inesia Jones does not have a stuttering problem!  My daddy told me that when I was much younger, I'd stutter when I'd done something I knew I wasn't suppose to be doing.
     "Yes, that's the problem.  I know him!  He's my brother.  He flirts with every girl he sees."  I know that Rashad noticed my stutter of words!  I wondered if daddy had ever told Rashad about me stuttering when I was much younger.  I gazed into Rashad's green eyes.  They looked slightly concerned.
     "Rashad, what are you trying to say?"  
     "I don't know.  Should I be saying something?"  Rashad's tone now sounded sharply, agitated! 
     Could it be true?  Ciara told me there was a rumor that Rashad was jealous of Raheim.  I took it as just that, a rumor.  Why would my gorgeous, tall, dark and handsome boyfriend be jealous of Raheim?  They were identical twins.  Rashad, of course, had a lot of class.  Rashad dressed better, carried himself better and he was a one-woman man.  My man!  Raheim was never able to keep a one on one relationship with any girl.  His excuse, 'He's waiting for Ms. Right.'
"No, no, babe.  You have absolutely n-n-nothing to worry about.  I love you and only you."  I caught myself stuttering again!  But why?  I was with the man I loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment