Thursday, January 5, 2012

GHOSTLY TOES IN MIWOK

     It was a cold, chilly night.  Stars danced and twinkled in the night sky.  Peaches lay cuddled up in bed with her favorite blanket, Ki-Ki.  Ki-Ki was soft as clouds and had a yellow, baby duck on the front.  The yellow, ducky held a tall, white flower in one hand.  In the other hand, three red balloons which placed a huge, smile on the yellow, ducky's face.
     "Uh-chew, Uh-chew," sneezed Peaches while wiping her nose.
     "Bless you, Peaches.  I guess your cold is getting the best of you," said Peaches' mommy.  "Here you go, Peaches.  Cherry flavored cold medicine.  It will help you feel better."  Peaches' mommy bent down and gave Peaches butterfly kisses.  "Sweet dreams," said Peaches' mommy.
      "Mommy, I know what would make me feel better," said Peaches.  "My very own tee-pee!  My own tee-pee, my own land.  I could be like you, mommy.  I could cook and clean," yawned Peaches.  
     As Peaches began to drift into dream land, she rubbed her ten, snow-pea shaped toes together softly.  She whispered quietly to herself.  "Ghostly toes, ghostly toes, our mystery tonight, only you know.  A real Indian Tribe, I'd like to know, like to know.  Uh-chew," sneezed Peaches one last time before she fell fast asleep.
     "Welcome, little one," spoke a deep voice.
     While squeezing Ki-Ki, Peaches slowly opened her chestnut, colored eyes.  Before Peaches' eyes stood a tall man.  He was dressed in a soft, brown, colored skirt.  He had a brown fur over his left shoulder.  His eyes were black as coal!  His hair was black as night.  It was straight and long.
     "Hello.  My name is Peaches.  Where am I?  Who are you?"  Peaches stood up.  She was amazed by the colorful, beauty of the mysterious land she awoke in.
     "You are on Miwok Land, little one.  Central California.  San Francisco Bay," explained the tall man.
     From behind the tall man's shadow, a child appeared!  Full of curiosity, the child's coal-colored eyes
danced and twinkled in the sun light.  Peaches was amazed by the young, boy's tall, tan and white feathered head gear.  Around the young boy's neck, a red-shiny beaded necklace.  It was decorated with white, black and tan colored beads in the shape of a upside down triangle.
     "Hello," shyly giggled the little boy.  "My name is, Miakoda.  This is my father, Malila.  Welcome to Miwok Land."
     "Wow!  It's so beautiful here.  Your names are so different.  What do they mean?"  Peaches was curious.
     "My name, Malila, it means fast salmon swimming up a rippling stream," said the boy's father.  He was walking Peaches and his son towards a rippling stream full of salmon fish.
     "I see them!  There are so many in the stream.  That's neat," said Peaches.
     "Peaches, my name is Miakoda.  That means moon.  I was born during a full moon.  That's what my father and mother tell me," giggled Miakoda.  "Father, may we take Peaches to our home to meet mother?  Oh, please, please, Father."
     "Yes, we may.  We can also show Peaches how Miwok Tribe lives," said Malila.
     Peaches, Miakoda and Mallila began walking through tall, green, grass that was dancing in the wind. 
     "Mmm, I smell something good."  Peaches twitched her tiny, rounded nose.
     "That's mother.  She's cooking salmon that father and I caught earlier.  Smells like she's also cooking sturgeon fish and clams.  Mmm, Lets hurry!  I'm hungry!"  Miakoda began to walk faster.
     Before they knew it, Peaches, Miakoda and Malila were at a cone, shaped house! 
     "Wow!  You have your own tee-pee!  What's it made of?"  Peaches was so excited!
     "It's made of willow and driftwood poles, Peaches.  We stack the willow and driftwood poles to the shape of a cone.  Then we lean more driftwood poles to keep it standing strong.  When that's done, we cover it with grass," explained Miakoda.
     Peaches noticed the wonderful smells coming out of the cone, shaped tee-pee.  She could hardly wait to go inside a real tee-pee!
     "Can we go in," asked Peaches.
     "Yes.  Welcome to our home, Peaches," said Malila.  They all stepped inside.
     "Mother, this is our new friend.  Her name is Peaches."
     A beautiful, bronze colored woman with black, wavy, long hair stood up.  She graciously welcomed her hand to Peaches. 
     "Hello, Peaches.  I am Aponi," greeted Miakoda's mother.
     "Aponi means butterfly, Peaches," said Miakoda.
     "You're so beautiful," complimented Peaches.  "I love your red, orange and black beaded necklace.  Your grass skirt is pretty too.  Your shirt looks so soft.  What is it made of?"
     "Deer hide, Peaches.  It is very soft.  What are you holding in your hand?  It's to colorful for deer hide," said Aponi.
     "This is, Ki-Ki.  He is made of cotton.  See, here is a picture of a yellow duck on the front."  Peaches was proud to show off her favorite blanket, Ki-Ki.
     "I see.  Your Ki-Ki is beautiful," said Aponi.
     "Ki-Ki helps me to feel better when I'm sick.  Uh-chew, uh chew," sneezed Peaches.  But I feel better now."
     "Come, have a seat Peaches with my family.  We are going to have dinner now," said Malila.
     Father Malila, Mother Aponi, their son, Miakoda and Peaches all sat on the ground inside the cone shaped tee-pee.  They enjoyed Aponi's delicious fish and clam meal.  Also, Aponi served a traditional Miwok bread made of acorn.
     "Mother, may we please have my favorite treat""
     "Sure, son.  Here it is."  Aponi handed Miakoda a round shaped wooden bowl. 
     "Peaches, try this!  I know you'll like it," said Miakoda.
     "Mmm, it's so crunchy and tasty!"  Everyone was enjoying Miakoda's favorite treat.  "What is this?  Mmm, it's so good," agreed Peaches while still eating. 
     "They're roasted grasshoppers and yellow jacket grubs," explained Malila.
     "What?  Oh, my!  I'm not feeling to well," said Peaches.  Peaches laid down on Ki-Ki.  She then began to rub her tummy.  She could not believe she had eaten grasshoppers and yellow jacket grubs!
     "Peaches, you will be just fine.  You lay and rest."  Aponi sat beside Peaches and rubbed her head.
     "Sorry, Peaches.  I thought you liked my special treat.  Well, you did until you found out what it was."  Miakoda smiled gently at Peaches.  His apology was sincere.
     "It's o.k., Miakoda.  I like to try new things.  Ki-Ki is helping me feel better.  I feel a little sleepy though."  Peaches let out a big yawn!  She felt her eyes getting tired.  Malila sat down next to Peaches and Aponi.  Miakoda did the same..
     "Peaches, you are a brave girl.  We are so pleased that you came to visit Miwok Land," said Malila.       
     "Yes, I'm glad to.  I had so much fun.  Your Miwok Land is so beautiful.  I've always wished to see a real tee-pee.  Thank you so much for sharing your home, food and land with me."    
     "Peaches, since you arrived in Miwok Land in the morning, I have a surprise for you.  We have decided to give you a special Miwok name.  We have named you, Awendela," explained Aponi while still rubbing Peaches' head. 
     "Thank you, thank you all.  What does Awendela mean?"
     "It means morning.  You are as beautiful to us as our beautiful mornings in Miwok Land.  Rest your eyes, Awendela," whispered Aponi.
     "Good morning, Peaches," said peaches' mommy.  She woke Peaches with butterfly kisses. 
     "Good morning, mommy.  Could you please call me by my Miwok name?  Awendela.  It means morning.  Right, Ki-Ki."  Peaches snuggled up with Ki-Ki and began laughing.  "I feel so much better now, mommy.  I told you a tee-pee would help me feel better."
     "That must of been quite an exciting dream, Peaches.  I mean, Awendela," giggled Peaches mommy.
     "Yes, mommy.  My ghostly toes took Ki-Ki and I on a fun, magical adventure.  We visited Miwok Land.  We had dinner with a Miwok Tribe family.  We got to go inside a real tee-pee!  I ate roasted grasshoppers and yellow jacket grubs!"  Peaches joined in laughing with her mommy.  Peaches, Ki-Ki and her mommy were enjoying their morning, their Awendela.

No comments:

Post a Comment